Friday, October 14, 2016

Was bringing Farrell back for 2017 the right move?

Photo Credit: USA Today Sports
This past week, Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowksi announced that John Farrell will return for the 2017. The burning question on fans' minds is "Was this the right move?" My gut feeling is that this is indeed the correct decision. No, he's not Terry Francona, Joe Maddon, or Bruce Bochy, but I would say 2 things in his defense - he was at the helm for 2013 and it would also appear he has this team on the up again after 2 straight last place finishes.

Let's start with the first thing - 2013. We all remember how that turned out, yes? It seemed as if the baseball gods wanted the Red Sox to win that year, but remember that the game is played on the field. And players can lose focus over the course of a 6 month season, and it takes a firm hand in the clubhouse to keep the team focus on the ultimate goal. I give Farrell most of the credit for that.

Reason #2 I would support Farrell for now - this team is heading in the right direction after getting swept by Cleveland. Yes, I know - we got swept, but I'll happily take it over 2 straight last place finishes, wouldn't you? I can't tell you how happy I was to see meaningful late-season and playoff baseball back at Fenway again. Like in 2013, I credit Farrell for keeping the team focused, and it paid off with a division title in the toughest division in baseball this year. Side note: Before fans of other teams start giving me flack, the AL East had 3 playoff teams and 4 of 5 teams over .500, so yeah, I think it qualifies as the best this year. Plus, the team had to deal with the media circus that was David Ortiz's retirement tour this year, but Farrell still kept the team on track.

Yes, I understand the counter-arguments. His in-game management is bad at times (trust me, that frustrates me too), but again, I do believe Farrell deserves a lot of credit for being a steady hand in the dugout, which is a big part of being a manager. My question to the anti-Farrell crowd would be this - would you rather go back to Bobby Valentine? Who would you have manage the team in place of Farrell? I say stick with Farrell for 2017, and see how it plays out before maybe changing managers.

Twitter: @C_Frederick 
@FlyingGM_Blog 

Facebook: Flying Green Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment