Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Red Sox moves: Chris Sale acquired, Travis Shaw dealt

David Banks/Getty Images
It's official, folks. As first reported by Ken Rosenthal, ex-Chicago White Sox ace Chris Sale is now a member of the Red Sox. The price? Yoan Moncada, Mike Kopech (RHP), and 2 other prospects.

The damage is not as bad as I would have thought to get an ace like Chris Sale. Moncada is obviously the centerpiece and the biggest loss, but given the level of talent that the Red Sox are getting in return, I can live with it. Given that both Andrew Benintendi and Jackie Bradley were thrown around in earlier trade talks, I think the Red Sox dodged a relative bullet by only having to give up Moncada. I understand that Moncada alone seems like a high price to some, but it could have been so much worse, given the circumstances.

To me, this also seems like Dave Dombrowski is doing everything he can to make the Red Sox serious World Series contenders. Lost in all the Sale hysteria was the fact that Travis Shaw was dealt for Tyler Thornburg from the Milwaukee Brewers, who had a 2.15 ERA and 90 strikeouts in a breakout season. That should also shore up our pen, even if I'm none too thrilled about the idea that the team, by giving up Shaw (a great young player in his own right), seems to be saying that Pablo Sandoval will be starting at third base at the moment. Maybe I'm misreading the situation, but that's what I get from the Red Sox dealing Shaw. If I'm right, then that thought makes me a little nervous, to say the least, but right now, I'm holding out hope that Pablo Sandoval will pull a John Lackey and be better after a major injury.


So, is this it for the Sox? Hopefully not, since they still need a replacement for David Ortiz. For now, I'm happy with the moves we made overall, even if the price of acquiring another ace and relief help was steep. Hopefully, it was worth it.

For now, stay tuned. FGM will have more coverage of all the Red Sox trades and signings.

Twitter - @C_Frederick1016 
@FlyingGM_Blog 

Facebook: Flying Green Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment