Thursday, October 13, 2016

LCS and beyond: What'll happen the rest of the playoffs?

Photo Credit: dawindycity.com
Hint: I'm feeling a happy ending (finally!) for the Chicago Cubs.

With the Red Sox out of the playoffs and the League Championship Series almost set (the LA Dodgers will face the Washington Nationals tonight for the right to face the Cubs), I thought it was a good time to look at how I believe the rest of the playoffs will shape up.

Washington/LA: Tonight's game 5 will be a competitive affair, I think, but I do see the Nationals edging out LA in a tight one. Why? Simple - I predict Max Scherzer steps up and pitches the game of his life. He did struggle in Game 2, but I think he does show up big time in the biggest moment thus far for Washington. I also see Bryce Harper and the rest of the Nationals lineup getting to Rich Hill, the LA starter, early. Hill struggled in his first playoff start this season, lasting only 4.1 innings and giving up 4 runs to the Nats.
Prediction: WAS over LA 4-2, WAS advances  

NLCS - CHI vs WAS: The Nationals are a good team, no doubt about it, but I firmly believe the Chicago Cubs are far and away the most complete team of 2016. They have an excellent combination of youth, experience, pitching (Red Sox fans will know all about that - Jon Lester and John Lackey, both ex-Sox players who will both start for Chicago), hitting, defense, and management from the GM Theo Epstein down to Joe Maddon. Maddon may be quirky, but he's one of the best managers in baseball, and he's proved it with the Rays and Cubs. This series will be tight, but I do think the Cubs have the talent to beat Washington.
Prediction - CHI wins the series 4-2  

ALCS: CLE vs TOR: This one should be interesting. Both teams swept their way through the ALDS, so both teams are rested, but I do think Toronto has that extra edge after also beating the Baltimore Orioles in the Wild Card play-in game. However, Cleveland is more than capable of causing what I think most would consider an upset. In addition, Cleveland arguably had the tougher ALDS matchup with Boston and swept the Sox in impressive fashion. I think this one could go the full 7 games, but I do think Toronto edges them out due to having a tougher lineup. Prediction: TOR wins the series 4-3

World Series prediction - Cubs win 4-1 I'll point out again that Chicago has a more complete team than any team remaining, and I believe that will propel them to the top of the baseball mountain in 2016, and I think they beat the Jays handily in 5. This is the part where I knock on wood, because I sincerely hope the Cubs can prove me right and pull it out, but I'm also well aware of the Cubs history.
Twitter - @C_Frederick1016 
 @FlyingGM_Blog  

Facebook: Flying Green Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment