Sunday, January 3, 2016

Projecting the Red Sox starting rotation

Photo Credit: Charles Krupa/AP
The Red Sox starting rotation will have a whole new look with new acquistion David Price set to headline the staff in 2016. So, how will the rest of the rotation look in 2016? The #1 position should be set, but the rest of the rotation is less certain, but I'm going to try and predict it anyway. Because early predictions are fun, right?  

1.) David Price: This is the only certainty on the rotation, since the Red Sox gave him top dollar to come to Boston. I project that he'll put up similar numbers to last year's 18-5 record between the Detroit. At least, I hope he will give the investment.

Final Prediction: 19-3, 2.35 ERA, 199 strikeouts, 50 walks, 210.2 innings pitched  

2.) Clay Buchholz: This is where things start to get murky. Clay Buchholz has #2 ability, but every time he appears to get some momentum, he suffers some major setback, so this is far from certain. My guess is he'll pitch well for 3-4 months, start teasing us, then suffer a season-ending injury right before the All Star Break, and Eduardo Rodriguez or Rick Porcello will be in this slot.

Final Prediction: 7-4, 3.00 ERA, 122 strikeouts, 31 walks, 115.2 innings pitched  

3.) Rick Porcello: I think Eduardo Rodriguez has the stuff to be a #2-3 starter, possibly a #1, but for the time being, I believe that John Farell will keep Rodriguez at the back of the rotation and let him observe. That means Rick Porcello will be the #3 at the start of the year, where I think he'll feel more comfortable. He was a middle-to-back end rotation type in Detroit before he was traded he, so I think he'll function better as a #3 starter this season and start to pay back the 4-year/$82 million investment the team made in him last season.  

Final Prediction: 15-11, 3.35 ERA, 150 strikeouts, 65 walks, 196.1 innings pitched.  

4.) Eduardo Rodriguez: As I said above, he could be higher on this list, but he'll probably learn more from being at the back end of the rotation for the time being. Make no mistake, though: This kid has serious potential, and could benefit from an injury later in the year (cough* Buchholz *cough). For now, though, I think there will still be an innings count on him, as the organization doesn't want to lose a promising young talent to a serious injury.  

Final Prediction: 16-9, 3.50 ERA, 175 strikeouts, 70 walks, 180.2 innings pitched

5.) Roenis Elias: For now, I think the team sees Roenis Elias (acquired from the Seattle Mariners for Wade Miley) as the #5 starter. It could be Joe Kelly or Stephen Wright, but ultimately, I think those 2 go to the bullpen for the time being and Elias takes the #5 slot.  

Final Prediction: 10-13, 4.20 ERA, 135 strikeouts, 75 walks, 165 innings pitched Well, there you have it. That's how I see the rotation shaping up this season. I have no idea if I'll be close, but there you have it. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Twitter - @C_Frederick1016
@FlyingGM_Blog

Facebook: Flying Green Monsters

No comments:

Post a Comment