Thursday, March 29, 2018

Red Sox baseball is back, and so am I

I
Photo Credit: Matt Stone
know it's been a while since I've done a post here, but baseball is back today, and so am I (finally). I'm like a 6-year old kid on Christmas morning at the moment. Without further ado, I'm going to get into what I think we can expect from this year's team.

The Sox are coming off a season in which they won the AL East, but crashed out of the playoffs in the first round to eventual World Series champions, the Houston Astros. This year, they come back with a new manager in Alex Cora, and a new slugger in JD Martinez. Cora's managerial experience is limited, but he was the bench coach on the Houston Astros team that won the championship last year, and Martinez is coming off a year in which he set career highs in home runs (45) and RBI's (104). Adding Martinez will hopefully add some much needed pop to a lineup that was sorely lacking in that department last year.

So, what exactly can we expect from the Red Sox? For starters, they should be aiming to win the AL East for the third consecutive year. Of course, the main competition this year will be from the Evil Empire down in New York, who added Giancarlo Stanton to an already stacked young lineup. I still expect the Red Sox to compete, though. When they're all in form, the Red Sox have one of the better starting rotations in baseball. And, while they may not have the power threats of the Yankees, the Red Sox lineup can still beat you in a multitude of different ways. Plus, Martinez should add some pop, as I mentioned above.

So, is this the year the Red Sox make a serious push towards another World Series? I believe so. I think Alex Cora is the right guy for the manager's job, and I don't think he'll let this team slide, like they have in years past. And, on paper, this is a very talented team that can beat anyone in a 5- or 7-game series come playoff time.

It all starts at 4:00 this afternoon. In the meantime, the Red Sox posted this video on their Facebook page to get us excited for the season:
Facebook: Flying Green Monsters
Twitter - @FlyingGM_Blog @C_Frederick1016

No comments:

Post a Comment